DarkVision is looking for a talented Prototype Machinist to join our Skunkworks team and work on the next generation of our state-of-the-art ultrasound imaging solutions.
This position will provide you with an opportunity to work with a multidisciplinary team of “Skunkworks” engineers and designers to innovate new technology/product ideas and concepts from scratch, starting with conception and ideation and ending with a working prototype or proof-of-concept. Your primary focus and challenge will be to enable their prototyping, design iterations, and testing by utilizing your expertise in precision machining to bring their designs to life, working with no more than a Step file and a conversation.
As an ideal candidate, you are dependable and adaptable, have a get-it-done attitude where no work is above or beneath you, and have a passion for supporting others and working collaboratively in a close-knit team.
Run and maintain DarkVision’s machine shop:
- Program and run a variety of CNC machines
- Take ownership of the machine shop organization – run this like your own shop inside DarkVision. Keep it clean and well organized. Knock heads if you need to.
- Stock tools and materials to quickly respond to new projects
- Maintain machines and avoid productivity loss from poor upkeep
Remove friction and obstacles to enable fast iteration:
- Provide a rapid path for designers to prototype, modify parts, and experiment
- Take on a variety of unique programming/machining challenges; take nothing but a step file and a conversation to create a part
- Teach others how to use machines safely and effectively so they can create parts when appropriate
Work closely with designers to improve designs:
- Provide feedback on design machinability/manufacturability
- Help improve designs before they go out the door
Help designers and production with machine part procurement:
- Interface with external machine shops to get quotes on parts we don’t plan to make ourselves
- Take drawings and files from designers, and take ownership of getting them made; decide if a part should be produced in-house or not
- Hold external shops accountable from price to part quality
- Experience operating CNC and manual machines
- Strong mechanical and computer aptitude
- Desire to collaborate, with an active pursuit of new ideas, perspectives, and ways of getting the job done
- Customer and solutions focused
- Eager to learn and continually develop your skills
- Strong communication skills and fluent in both oral and written English
- High level of safety awareness and orientation
- Tight tolerance machining and QC (+/- .001″)
- Experience using CAD/CAM software
- Senior-level machining experience and expertise (preferably using Haas and Tormach CNC Machines)
- 4th axis CNC mill working experience
- Experience live tooling lathes
- Familiar with HSM Works or Fusion 360 CAM
- Experience running a small machine shop
- Prior experience in the design or fabrication of tooling or fixtures
- Prior experience machining materials such as high strength stainless steel and advanced alloys
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary or higher (Top $ for top talent)
- Full benefits package
- Up to 8 weeks of vacation (Yes, you read that correctly!)
- Flexible work environment
- Lots of autonomy, exciting work, and industry-leading technology
DarkVision Technologies Inc. is a BC-based tech company disrupting the industrial imaging market since 2013. We have created the world’s most advanced acoustic-based imaging platform. We are packaging it into multiple new product lines, revolutionizing how our clients quantify and visualize the integrity of their critical assets.
Backed by Koch Industries, the largest privately held company in North America, DarkVision’s team of Mechanical, Skunkworks, Electrical, Software, and Machine Learning Engineers is rapidly expanding to meet the demand for the company’s current and upcoming products.
We provide employees with the opportunity to work on cutting-edge technologies that blend science with real-world applications. We invite you to join our team for the exciting journey ahead as we become the global leader in industrial imaging.
Here are four reasons you’ll like working at DarkVision:
- Well-Funded: We are backed by Koch Industries – North America’s largest privately held company, and actively work with top-tier operators across North America.
- ‘A’ Players: Our team is made up of talented, intelligent, and hardworking people. If you’re an ‘A’ player, you’ll enjoy the intellectually stimulating, challenging and respectfully-competitive atmosphere.
- Growing Quickly: We are launching several new product lines and, as a result, have more than doubled our headcount over the last year.
- Lots of Opportunities: We are transitioning into a much larger organization and will soon be expanding into a 52,000 sq ft facility in North Vancouver. We have recently opened a larger Calgary office and have expanded into the US, with offices in Houston and Midland, TX.